November 10, 2016
Dear Rensselaer students,
As you may have seen on the news and social media, incidents of bias and violence have been occurring on college campuses across the nation. We are a community that values inclusivity, dialogue, and above all a safe environment for growth and learning. We do not tolerate harassment of any kind. If you experience or witness harassment, please contact Public Safety immediately at 518-276-6611.
- We encourage anyone who needs assistance to take advantage of the following campus resources:
- Assistant Deans in the Residential Commons
- Counseling services are available in the Counseling Center, 4th floor, Academy Hall, 518-276-6479. Drop-in counseling office hours are available on Wednesdays in the Student Living and Learning Office, Commons, 2:00 - 5:00 pm.
- Dean of Students office in Academy Hall, Suite 4600, 518-276-6266.
- Public Safety is always available for escorts at 518-276-6656. Also, RPI Guardian is the university's cell phone app to track walking routes: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/public_safety/safety/guardian.html
- Religious Affairs Office, located in the Rensselaer Union, 518-276-6518.
- Undergraduate Class Deans & Dean of Graduate Experience, Academy Hall, Suite 4600, 518-276-8022.
We are at our best when we seek to understand each other first, and want to encourage open and honest dialogue. Here are a few upcoming examples of opportunities we provide for discourse through the Rensselaer Union:
As groups who are marginalized and oppressed continue to face injustices, violence, and tragedy, we want to provide a continued space of support, healing, and processing. This space is open for all students and staff who are affected by the events of today’s world, and encourages vulnerability in the spirit of being brave.
Friday, November 11 at noon – Multicultural Lounge Room 2124
Monday, November 14 at 7pm – Union room 3602
This month’s Let’s Talk will include aspects of active listening and practicing dialogue around the election.
Tuesday, November 15 at 7pm – Union room 3502
Join the student staff of the Wellness Institute for a program focused on thankfulness, gratitude, stress relief, and inclusion.
Wednesday, November 16, 4 PM -7 PM, Mueller Center
Your safety and security is our highest priority. Thank you for supporting and caring for each other.
Frank E. Ross III, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Life