The Bridge Scholars Program is an opportunity for enrolling students to attend a summer program designed to provide a rigorous academic instruction in either calculus or physics introduction and develop skills necessary for academic and personal success at Rensselaer. The 6 week total summer program encompasses a two week residential program for participants to develop early academic and social success skills through academic mentoring, career development, access to academic support resources, and enrichment seminars that focus on excelling in the uniquely demanding Rensselaer environment. The two week residential program is followed by a rigorous four week continuation of students’ academic study in either calculus or physics. The summer culminates in students moving back on to campus early to start their semester off by participating in the Navigating Rensselaer and Beyond Overnight Experiences and Day trips.
Students who successfully complete the requirements of the program will receive:
- $2,500 scholarship per year, renewable
- Costs for the summer program including tuition, fees, housing, & meals, covered.
- Advanced preparation in either Physics or Calculus.
- Early access and exposure to campus life and resources.
- Your choice of a 3 day, 2 night adventure trip as part of Navigating Rensselaer and Beyond.
- Make connections with key university upper-class mentors, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- In addition, students will learn good study habits and time management.
- Hands-on experience with the academic rigor at Rensselaer.
- Ability to meet and network with Rensselaer faculty, staff, and upper-class students.
- Preference for the Garnett Baltimore Research and Entrepreneurial Scholars program and assistance in obtaining a research and entrepreneurial experience experience.
Students must complete the following to be eligible for program benefits.
- Six-week academic readiness course in either calculus or physics
- Two weeks residential program
- Four weeks online
- Student Orientation
- Navigating Rensselaer and Beyond Overnight and Day programs
- Academic year meetings and workshops not to exceed 1 hour per week
- Research or entrepreneurial activity with Rensselaer for students who apply and meet eligibilty criteria. Some funded positions are available through the the Garnett Baltimore Research and Entrepreneurial Scholars program
The Bridge 2019 Dates
TWO WEEK RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM: Students arrive on Sunday, July 14 and will stay on-campus until Saturday, July 26.
FOUR WEEK ONLINE PROGRAM: Students will begin home instruction on Monday July 29, finishing on Friday, August 23
Bridge Student attend Student Orientation V Tuesday- Wednesday, August 20 & 21 and leave for their overnight trip after orientation.
Rae Anderson, '19 Mathematics
"Throughout the Bridge program, I was introduced to many staff and faculty. They all seemed to be genuinely interested in my success as a student. The relationships I built with these community members only strengthened during my first semester. So much that when I decided to change majors, one of the professors from Bridge took on the role of being my academic advisor.
Bridge played a huge role in my adjustment to college. In my time at RPI, I have faced many personal issues. Each time, I knew exactly where to go for help. I was comfortable with doing so because the staff had already shown me they were invested in my success. Now, in my third year, I am always excited to see fellow Bridge scholars walking around campus. I make a conscious effort to say hello and ask them how their time at RPI is going so far. If they need help, I try to give them advice, or even help if the problem is math homework. I am very proud to call myself a Bridge Scholar!"
Eligibility and Selection
This program is by invitation only and students are identified by admissions. To be eligible you must have paid your deposit confirming your enrollment at Rensselaer for the fall 2019 semester. International students and students enrolling at other institutions are not eligible to participate in this program.
If you have questions about the 2019 Bridge Scholars Program, please contact: Assistant Dean, Sherry Gunn by telephone at 518-276-8022 or email@example.com at your convenience.