Student Employment Changes


Dear Students,

In order to ensure student workers have completed all required documentation, including Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, Rensselaer will be implementing a new process that must be followed before any student can begin work. This process is applicable to any student who receives money from Rensselaer for any type of work on campus as an Undergraduate or Graduate Student. Types of work include Teaching Assistant, Research Assistant, Resident Assistant, Resident Learning Assistants, Federal Work Study, students funded by the Undergraduate Research Program, and any other on-campus employment.  Students receiving Fellowships are excluded from this process.

As of May 1, 2017, all student workers must obtain a student employment card before they begin work.



These cards are intended to show your supervisor that you have completed the required paperwork, specifically Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, and are eligible to begin working.  If you do not have one of these cards on your first day of work, your supervisor cannot let you start working.

Important things to know about the card

  • If you are a returning student worker, please see your direct supervisor for details about how to obtain an employment card for next semester.
  • If you are a new student worker, the person who is hiring you will be able to send you to the correct individual who is responsible for ensuring your paperwork is complete so you can obtain your card.
  • You will need to get an updated card each year.  The card that will be issued beginning in May 2017 will be valid until May 31, 2018 and will be red in color.  You will need to obtain an updated card for the following year.  The card will be a different color each year.
  • Only new student workers or students who have taken a consecutive two academic term break from working will need to complete a new Form I-9.  Original documents to verify your identity are required when completing this form (i.e., Passport, SSN card, Driver’s License are some examples.)  Copies are not allowed.
  • If you have worked in the past and have not taken a consecutive two academic term break, you will not need to complete additional paperwork.  You only need to obtain the employment card.

A Student Employment Website ( has been developed to provide information regarding the student employment process.  On this site you will also find a new Employment Policy for Student Workers and a Student Worker Employment Handbook.


Travis Apgar

Assistant Vice President for Student Life
Dean of Students