About the Program
Become an I-Persist Mentor
The fall 2020 Recruitment process will begin on November 18, 2019. Please see below for more information about the program and how to apply to be a mentor.
Peer Mentor Responsibilities
- Mentors will conduct 2 mentoring sessions per week for the entire fall 2020 semester (approximately 8-10 students per session)
- Mentors will attend one weekly supervisory meeting with subject faculty and Student Success
- Mentors are required to hold 2 hours of “study hours” per week throughout the fall semester to provide extra help to mentees
- Mentors must prepare for their weekly sessions; on average – 10 hours of work total per week
In order to be considered, all candidates must:
- Be in good judicial and academic standing at Rensselear
- Demonstrate strong academic performance in the subjects that you are applying to mentor
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate student for fall 2020
Please note: Although you may apply to mentor multiple subjects, you will only be selected to mentor one subject.
- All new applicants will be required to attend 1 of 3 information sessions. Information sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 9:00am. Location will be the CBIS Auditorium.
- Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm. Location will be the CBIS Auditorium.
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 4:30 pm. Location will be the CBIS Auditorium.
- Applications are due January 26, 2020 at 11pm
- All applicants who apply to be a Chemistry or Calculus mentor will be required to take a subject-specific quiz.
- Applicants who apply to be a Physics mentor will not be required to take a Physics quiz.
- If selected, all applicants will be required to attend 2 interviews: the first interview will be with Student Life in February, the second interview will be held by subject-specific Faculty in March.
- All decisions will be made in early April 2020
If selected, all mentors will be required to attend the following training days:
- Spring training: April 30, 2020 (half-day training)
- Fall training (tentative): August 26, 2020 – August 29, 2020
- These are full days of training (approximately 9am – 5pm)
- Early move-in for fall training would take place on August 25, 2020 (tentative)
- To apply, please click here.
Please note: You will not be exempted from fall I-PERSIST training for any Navigating Rensselear and Beyond (NRB) activities. If you accept to become a mentor, you will have to find other students to replace you at any NRB activities that you are a part of.